Diabetes Research Institute: News of the Week Includes Record Breaking Auction by Brenda Novak
This week's news regarding the Diabetes Research Institute and the fight against diabetes includes:
1. Brenda Novak's Online Auction for Diabetes Research benefiting the DRI broke records this year, raising $306,000 and surpassing her goal of $250,000. Next year's auction is set to begin on May 1, 2013.
Lots of different things were auctioned off during the online auction, books and computers and chances to meet with favorite authors. More. Have you read Brenda Novak's books? She's a NY Times Bestselling author and you can learn more at her website.
2. The Spring 2012 issue of UM's Miami magazine contains a leading story, "A Quest for the Cure," about the Diabetes Research Institute's multidisciplinary research program and global collaborative partnerships aimed at curing diabetes. Prominently featured are many DRI researchers and there is another article featuring personal stories about the generous leaders of the DRI Foundation whose support makes research possible, including Steve Sonberg, Harold Doran and Bonnie Inserra, who is pictured with Dr. Ricordi.
3. Dr. Camillo Ricordi will be the special guest on a live video chat on leading diabetes website TuDiabetes.com on Friday, August 10 from 4 - 5 pm EDT.
4. Dr. Juan Dominguez-Bendala and his work with stem cells and suicide genes was featured in Florida Trend magazine's update on medical research underway in the state.
5. Dr. Antonello Pileggi authored an article titled, "Mesenchymal Stem Cells for the Treatment of Diabetes," that was published in the journal Diabetes. He summarizes the therapeutic potential of MSCs for transplantation due to their demonstrated immunomodulatory effects and ability to enhance islet engraftment and survival, among other benefits.