DRI: Diabetes Research Institute News of the Week Includes Sad News of Dr. George S. Eisenbarth's Passing
Here, the Diabetes Research Institute's News of the Week:
- Dr. Camillo Ricordi was appointed to the Scientific Advisory Board of Orgenesis Inc., a development stage company dedicated to converting a patient’s own liver cells into insulin-producing cells. Dr. Ricordi is donating all stock options related to his services to the DRIF.
- The diabetes community recently lost one of its most brilliant minds with the passing of George S. Eisenbarth. In tribute to his distinguished career, Drs. Jay Skyler and Alberto Pugliese shared their commendations and condolences.
- National Chairman Harold Doran did a terrific interview with Kate Lochte of WKMS 91.3fm about his and Kelly’s involvement with the DRI and Foundation. The article and taped interview is available on the station’s website.
- The November issue of Healthy Valley magazine featured DRI supporter and NYT bestselling author Brenda Novak on the cover with her personal story about how her son’s diagnosis with type 1 diabetes spawned her writing career and the online auction that benefits the DRI.
- The Fourth Annual Turkey Trot held on Thanksgiving Day in Chatham Township, NJ, in which the DRI is a co-beneficiary, raised $14,300 in its most successful event to date.
- The DRIF’s Tom Karlya was included in DiabetesMine.com’s annual round up of the diabetes blogosphere for his Diabetes Dad blog.
George S. Eisenbarth, MD, PhD
September 17, 1947 - November 13, 2012
(click image to read Barbara Davis Center Obituary for Dr. Eisenbarth)